|By Marketwired .||
|November 6, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
DENVER, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 11/06/12 -- EDUCAUSE -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- East-West University (EWU), a small but rapidly growing school in Chicago, IL with 800 students, has implemented Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions applications via a cost-effective implementation model to automate administrative processes and improve information management for the entire university system.
- The institution's legacy information management system was unable to integrate information from different campus departments, providing administration with a non-holistic view of student activity. In addition, class registration was a manual process requiring face-to-face interaction between students and staff, taking significant administrative time and preventing consistent student access to real-time enrollment information. The institution required a new student, financial, and human resources solution to meet student needs, transfer data between departments, and ensure efficient and cost effective maintenance.
- Looking to take advantage of a Department of Education Title III Grant in its inaugural year (Fiscal Year 2010-2011), EWU selected PeopleSoft Campus Solutions to integrate administrative services, admissions, financial aid, and other critical campus systems into one comprehensive solution. PeopleSoft's holistic structure enables East-West University to enhance strategic decision-making, facilitate more efficient information sharing between departments, and lessen the administrative burden.
- PeopleSoft Campus Solutions also offers EWU's students self-registration options and provides students, academic departments, and advising staff with long-term planning capabilities. The new system will also integrate the institution's alumni database with fundraising activities to provide more consistent and streamlined communication.
- As a small university, EWU did not have the funds for a high-cost, heavily-customized implementation. To meet both short-term and long-term maintenance needs, EWU selected the Optimized Campus implementation model for Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions -- a unique implementation approach developed by Oracle and Higher Technology Solutions (HTS) to deliver native PeopleSoft Campus Solutions functionality at an affordable and predictable cost. The Optimized Campus model can reduce the standard implementation time from 18-24 months to as little as six months. In addition, Oracle and HTS based the solution on a prescribed pricing model, where student head count determines cost, making Optimized Campus affordable to institutions of all types and sizes.
- East-West University's implementation of Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions includes the following PeopleSoft Enterprise modules: Campus Community, Recruiting and Admissions, Student Records, Academic Advisement, Student Financials, and Financial Aid. In future stages, East-West University will also implement the Contributor Relations module.
- East-West University worked with HTS to implement Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions in seven months -- on time and on budget -- going live in July 2012.
- "As a relatively small school with a very manageable archive of student and cognate institutional records, we felt it best to take full advantage of this unique implementation model that avoided a high-cost, overly-customized implementation. By selecting the Optimized Campus implementation model for Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions we receive the benefits of Oracle's complete, integrated solutions that enable higher education institutions to adapt to the changing needs and demands of all their constituents, at an affordable cost," said Dr. Farid I. Muhammad, director of title III, East-West University.
- "To meet performance goals and reduce IT costs, smaller universities must overcome the limitations of conventional implementations. As the first customer to utilize this implementation model, East-West University demonstrates that this approach can help schools with smaller enrollment numbers realize rapid benefits -- offering them the same state-of-the-art systems used at larger universities to stay competitive in today's ever-evolving industry," said Cole Clark, global vice president of education and research, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions
- Optimized Campus implementation model for Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Campus Community
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Recruiting and Admissions
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Student Records
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Academic Advisement
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Student Financials
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Financial Aid
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Contributor Relations
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the education and research industry, helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 108
This week, the team assembled in NYC for @Cloud Expo 2015 and @ThingsExpo 2015. For the past four years, this has been a must-attend event for MetraTech. We were happy to once again join industry visionaries, colleagues, customers and even competitors to share and explore the ways in which the Internet of Things (IoT) will impact our industry. Over the course of the show, we discussed the types of challenges we will collectively need to solve to capitalize on the opportunity IoT presents.
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server, storage technology and green computing, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and Embedded Systems worldwide. Supermi...
Oct. 13, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 223
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data shows "less than 10 percent of IoT developers are making enough to support a reasonably sized team....
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 345
The IoT market is on track to hit $7.1 trillion in 2020. The reality is that only a handful of companies are ready for this massive demand. There are a lot of barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can we deal with these issues and challenges? The paradigm has changed. Old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways will certainly lead you to the dead end. What is mandatory is an overarching and adaptive approach to effectively handle the rapid changes and exponential growth.
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 341
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 214
The IoT is upon us, but today’s databases, built on 30-year-old math, require multiple platforms to create a single solution. Data demands of the IoT require Big Data systems that can handle ingest, transactions and analytics concurrently adapting to varied situations as they occur, with speed at scale. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chad Jones, chief strategy officer at Deep Information Sciences, will look differently at IoT data so enterprises can fully leverage their IoT potential. He’ll share tips on how to speed up business initiatives, harness Big Data and remain one step ahead by apply...
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 749
There will be 20 billion IoT devices connected to the Internet soon. What if we could control these devices with our voice, mind, or gestures? What if we could teach these devices how to talk to each other? What if these devices could learn how to interact with us (and each other) to make our lives better? What if Jarvis was real? How can I gain these super powers? In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, will show you!
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 302
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/target - this makes the integration of these separate pipelines and the coordination of software upd...
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 414
As a company adopts a DevOps approach to software development, what are key things that both the Dev and Ops side of the business must keep in mind to ensure effective continuous delivery? In his session at DevOps Summit, Mark Hydar, Head of DevOps, Ericsson TV Platforms, will share best practices and provide helpful tips for Ops teams to adopt an open line of communication with the development side of the house to ensure success between the two sides.
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 696
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi's VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving this change including privacy controls, data transparency and integration of real time context w...
Oct. 13, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 308
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, will explore the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and technology requirements that will drive the Internet of Things from hype to reality.
Oct. 13, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 321
SYS-CON Events announced today that Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, will keynote at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 13, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 253
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 13, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,011
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 686
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 263
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete end-to-end walkthrough of the analysis from start to finish. Participants will also be given the pract...
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 411
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Oct. 13, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 856
Electric power utilities face relentless pressure on their financial performance, and reducing distribution grid losses is one of the last untapped opportunities to meet their business goals. Combining IoT-enabled sensors and cloud-based data analytics, utilities now are able to find, quantify and reduce losses faster – and with a smaller IT footprint. Solutions exist using Internet-enabled sensors deployed temporarily at strategic locations within the distribution grid to measure actual line loads.
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 277
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 12, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 7,129