|By Marketwired .||
|November 6, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
DENVER, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 11/06/12 -- EDUCAUSE -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- The University of Akron, a culturally diverse university with more than 28,000 students, located in Akron, Ohio, has implemented Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management hosted on Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research.
- The University of Akron has a robust technology infrastructure; however, with a multitude of projects in progress, the university had limited resources available to implement and maintain a traditional business intelligence environment in its data center. The university also sought to achieve operational cost efficiencies and shorten the implementation cycle by hosting the environment in the cloud.
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition provides the university with a set of reporting and ad-hoc query and analysis capabilities that The University of Akron staff can access and personalize using Oracle's pre-built dashboards.
- The University of Akron also deployed PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management solutions including Financial Analytics, Human Capital Management Warehouse and Supply Chain Analytics, which provides strategic planning and goal setting capabilities and an end-to-end reporting process, including processes that meet National Science Foundation (NSF) research reporting requirements.
- The University of Akron will leverage Oracle's business intelligence and enterprise planning solutions as it implements its Vision 2020 -- a strategic plan designed to grow enrollment, improve the learning experience and increase funding for student programs, faculty, research, campus and community.
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management add to the university's Oracle footprint, which also includes PeopleSoft Enterprise Student Financials, a component of Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management.
- The University of Akron worked with Oracle Consulting to implement its cloud environment via standard software and practices in nine months -- having launched the initial environment in July 2012. The complete implementation process will happen in three phases. The University of Akron is currently in phase two, where it will increase user counts from 30 to 125 and complete the NSF reporting functionality.
- "The University of Akron has implemented many Oracle solutions, now including Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition. We have limited internal resources currently available, and the Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research provided the university with an additional option for its strategic planning needs -- while also preserving internal capabilities to focus on core competencies," said Susan Rzyczycki, assistant vice president applications services, The University of Akron.
- "With funding shortages and a need for increased operational efficiencies, higher education institutions are seeking ways to operate more efficiently while providing their faculty, staff and students with new technologies. We believe that with Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management, hosted on Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research, The University of Akron will have greater reporting capabilities to facilitate forecasting and planning, while reducing operational expenses," said Cole Clark, global vice president, education and research industry, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
- Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management
- PeopleSoft Financial Analytics
- PeopleSoft Human Capital Management Warehouse
- PeopleSoft Supply Chain Analytics
- PeopleSoft Human Capital Management
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Student Financials
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
- Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research Executive Summary
- Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research Solutions Brief
- Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research Frequently Asked Questions
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the education and research industry, helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
One of the biggest impacts of the Internet of Things is and will continue to be on data; specifically data volume, management and usage. Companies are scrambling to adapt to this new and unpredictable data reality with legacy infrastructure that cannot handle the speed and volume of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and president of Infobright, will discuss how companies need to rethink their data infrastructure to participate in the IoT, including: Data storage: Understanding the kinds of data: structured, unstructured, big/small? Analytics: What kinds and how responsiv...
May. 22, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,314
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
May. 22, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,301
The Workspace-as-a-Service (WaaS) market will grow to $6.4B by 2018. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Seth Bostock, CEO of IndependenceIT, will begin by walking the audience through the evolution of Workspace as-a-Service, where it is now vs. where it going. To look beyond the desktop we must understand exactly what WaaS is, who the users are, and where it is going in the future. IT departments, ISVs and service providers must look to workflow and automation capabilities to adapt to growing demand and the rapidly changing workspace model.
May. 22, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,989
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
May. 22, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,201
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He discussed opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and technical point of vie...
May. 22, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,592
Sensor-enabled things are becoming more commonplace, precursors to a larger and more complex framework that most consider the ultimate promise of the IoT: things connecting, interacting, sharing, storing, and over time perhaps learning and predicting based on habits, behaviors, location, preferences, purchases and more. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tom Wesselman, Director of Communications Ecosystem Architecture at Plantronics, will examine the still nascent IoT as it is coalescing, including what it is today, what it might ultimately be, the role of wearable tech, and technology gaps stil...
May. 22, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,254
Grow your business with enterprise wearable apps using SAP Platforms and Google Glass. SAP and Google just launched the SAP and Google Glass Challenge, an opportunity for you to innovate and develop the best Enterprise Wearable App using SAP Platforms and Google Glass and gain valuable market exposure. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian McPhail, Senior Director of Business Development, ISVs & Digital Commerce at SAP, outlined the timeline of the SAP Google Glass Challenge and the opportunity for developers, start-ups, and companies of all sizes to engage with SAP today.
May. 22, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,859
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
May. 22, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,811
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo – to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – is now accepting Hackathon proposals. Hackathon sponsorship benefits include general brand exposure and increasing engagement with the developer ecosystem. At Cloud Expo 2014 Silicon Valley, IBM held the Bluemix Developer Playground on November 5 and ElasticBox held the DevOps Hackathon on November 6. Both events took place on the expo floor. The Bluemix Developer Playground, for developers of all levels, highlighted the ease of use of...
May. 22, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,211
We’re no longer looking to the future for the IoT wave. It’s no longer a distant dream but a reality that has arrived. It’s now time to make sure the industry is in alignment to meet the IoT growing pains – cooperate and collaborate as well as innovate. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine the key ingredients to IoT success and identify solutions to challenges the industry is facing. The deep industry expertise behind this presentation will provide attendees with a leading edge view of rapidly emerging IoT oppor...
May. 22, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,799
For years, we’ve relied too heavily on individual network functions or simplistic cloud controllers. However, they are no longer enough for today’s modern cloud data center. Businesses need a comprehensive platform architecture in order to deliver a complete networking suite for IoT environment based on OpenStack. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dhiraj Sehgal from PLUMgrid will discuss what a holistic networking solution should really entail, and how to build a complete platform that is scalable, secure, agile and automated.
May. 22, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,175
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
May. 22, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 6,120
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focused on understanding how industrial data can create intelligence for industrial operations. Imagine ...
May. 22, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,072
Hadoop as a Service (as offered by handful of niche vendors now) is a cloud computing solution that makes medium and large-scale data processing accessible, easy, fast and inexpensive. In his session at Big Data Expo, Kumar Ramamurthy, Vice President and Chief Technologist, EIM & Big Data, at Virtusa, will discuss how this is achieved by eliminating the operational challenges of running Hadoop, so one can focus on business growth. The fragmented Hadoop distribution world and various PaaS solutions that provide a Hadoop flavor either make choices for customers very flexible in the name of opti...
May. 22, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,625
In the consumer IoT, everything is new, and the IT world of bits and bytes holds sway. But industrial and commercial realms encompass operational technology (OT) that has been around for 25 or 50 years. This grittier, pre-IP, more hands-on world has much to gain from Industrial IoT (IIoT) applications and principles. But adding sensors and wireless connectivity won’t work in environments that demand unwavering reliability and performance. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ron Sege, CEO of Echelon, will discuss how as enterprise IT embraces other IoT-related technology trends, enterprises with i...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,138
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
May. 21, 2015 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,466
Cultural, regulatory, environmental, political and economic (CREPE) conditions over the past decade are creating cross-industry solution spaces that require processes and technologies from both the Internet of Things (IoT), and Data Management and Analytics (DMA). These solution spaces are evolving into Sensor Analytics Ecosystems (SAE) that represent significant new opportunities for organizations of all types. Public Utilities throughout the world, providing electricity, natural gas and water, are pursuing SmartGrid initiatives that represent one of the more mature examples of SAE. We have s...
May. 21, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,917
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be
May. 21, 2015 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,764
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrategies, will examine why IT must finally fulfill its role in support of its SBUs or face a new round of...
May. 21, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,275
Wearable devices have come of age. The primary applications of wearables so far have been "the Quantified Self" or the tracking of one's fitness and health status. We propose the evolution of wearables into social and emotional communication devices. Our BE(tm) sensor uses light to visualize the skin conductance response. Our sensors are very inexpensive and can be massively distributed to audiences or groups of any size, in order to gauge reactions to performances, video, or any kind of presentation. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Jocelyn Scheirer, CEO & Founder of Bionolux, will discuss ho...
May. 21, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,023