|By Business Wire||
|November 29, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
Minds+Machines 2012 – GE (NYSE: GE) today announced nine new industrial service technologies and a joint venture with Accenture that will help drive a productivity revolution and transform global industries. Combining product diagnostics software and analytics, these technologies will connect machines to machines, machines to people, and machines to business operations allowing airlines, railroads, hospitals, manufacturing and energy companies to operate more efficiently, reduce costs, and potentially eliminate $150 billion in waste across major industries.
The nine new intelligent services will expand GE’s Industrial Internet technologies and deliver four categories of outcomes and benefits to customers including optimized networks, optimized plants and facilities, optimized assets and service quality and productivity. The new technologies, available today, cross major industries, including energy, oil & gas, healthcare, aviation, rail, and manufacturing.
Additionally, as part of GE’s $1 billion overall investment into new service offerings and support for emerging business models announced last year, GE Aviation and Accenture today announced a new joint venture, Taleris™, which will provide airlines and cargo carriers around the world services to improve a plane’s efficiency by using aircraft performance data, prognostics, recovery and planning.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “The Industrial Internet is revolutionizing the services we provide our customers, helping them become more efficient and productive. GE will leverage our $150 billion services backlog to develop technologies that improve the performance of our industrial products and grow our dollars per installed base 4-5% annually.”
According to findings of a new GE report, “Industrial Internet: Pushing the Boundaries of Minds and Machines,” the power of 1% efficiency across industries is substantial savings. For example, over 15 years, just 1% fuel savings in the energy industry could save $66 billion, 1% fuel savings in aviation could yield more than $30 billion in savings and in healthcare, 1% of efficiency gained would mean $63 billion in global healthcare savings.
“The internet has changed the way we consume information and talk with each other, but now it can do more. By connecting intelligent machines to each other and ultimately to people, and by combining software and big data analytics, we can push the boundaries of physical and material sciences to change the way the world works,” Immelt said. “GE plans to launch 20 new additional Industrial service technologies in 2013 to continue to drive this productivity revolution.”
The products being announced today include:
GE networks all the active parts of our customers’ businesses, from assets and operations to the people who make everything run. This will minimize complexity and eliminate waste, allowing customers to fulfill the business mission better.
INTELLIGENT OPERATIONS - AVIATION
Flight delays cost airlines $40 billion every year worldwide. Ten
percent of these delays are related to unexpected aircraft maintenance
issues. GE Aviation’s Intelligent Operations services use proprietary
algorithms to monitor data collected from aircraft equipment, to
diagnose and predict aircraft maintenance issues before they occur. If
an average domestic airline (14 million passengers, 85,000 flights per
year) implemented Intelligent Operations services, 1,000 delayed
departures and flight cancellations could be avoided each year,
helping more than 90,000 passengers get to their destinations on time.
GE and Accenture’s new joint venture, Taleris, will use Intelligent Operations technology to analyze data from “tip to tail” sensors for multiple aircraft parts, components and systems and make predictive recommendations to optimize aircraft maintenance and flight operations. Accenture will provide the architecture to integrate this intelligent information for customers, as well as planning and recovery to optimize the timing and route planning for proactive maintenance across a fleet of aircraft. Taleris will be assuming the planning and recovery business from Navitaire, an Accenture company that provides technology services for the airline industry. The final formation of Taleris is subject to regulatory review. A launch customer will be announced shortly.
RAIL NETWORK OPTIMIZATION – TRANSPORTATION
- GE Transportation’s software solutions deliver customer value and productivity by improving asset, operations and network performance. GE offers solutions across the entire transportation network including railroads, shippers, intermodal terminals, and repair shops. The technologies -- RailConnect Transportation Management System and Movement Planner System – utilize analytics to give real-time access to critical information so railroads can move more freight faster and more intelligently. For North American Class 1 railroads, realizing operational efficiencies is the key. The industry operating ratio is ~73% and a 1% improvement represents $600 million or more in annual savings. In terms of network velocity, Norfolk Southern, a large North America Class I Railroad and a launch customer, estimates that for every 1 mph increase in network speed saves as much as $200 million in annual capital and operating expenses. The launch customer for this product is Norfolk Southern.
GRID IQ SOLUTIONS AS A SERVICE – ENERGY
- GE’s Grid IQ™ Solutions as a Service (SaaS) allows utilities to monitor, manage and control their grid more intelligently. Using a cloud computing services model, these capabilities can be deployed in 50% less time than traditional turnkey project models and 10% of the estimated implementation cost. This allows utilities to work on grid modernization projects without worrying about the financial impact of ongoing IT operations. Grid modernization projects are capital intensive, but GE’s SaaS offering allows the utility to modernize their operations on an OPEX basis versus a CAPEX basis. This change can minimize the utilities’ initial project expenses, and smaller utilities and cooperatives supporting municipalities can expect benefits that could double their net income. Grid IQ™ SaaS replaces the utilities’ IT infrastructure requirements with cloud-based computing and helps utilities manage risks associated with long-term technology investment decisions. SaaS transfers the investment need from the utility to GE by deploying a standard system. The launch customer for this product is Electric Cities of Georgia and the City of Norcross, Georgia.
Optimized Plants & Facilities
GE connects all the machines, equipment and people to make plants and facilities perform better. This offers a complete view of plants and predicts and prevents disruptions, allowing customers to get the most out of their facilities.
HOSPITAL OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (HOM) – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s Hospital Operations Management (HOM) integrates bed assignment, departmental workflow, patient flow, transport, and equipment management to reduce wait times and enable more efficient quality care to be delivered throughout a patient’s stay, from admissions to discharge. Better communications around the hundreds of people, processes, and assets involved in healthcare can save hospitals both time and money, and help reduce the inefficiencies that cost hospitals millions of dollars each year. The launch customer for this product is The Mt. Sinai Hospital, Manhattan.
FUEL AND CARBON SOLUTIONS (F&CS) – AVIATION
- GE Aviation’s Fuel & Carbon Solutions uses proprietary algorithms to evaluate airline operations data and identify opportunities to reduce fuel consumption by more than 2%. If an average-sized airline (70 aircraft, $1 billion annual fuel costs) implemented Fuel & Carbon Solutions to achieve 2% improvement in fuel consumption, their annual fuel expenditure would decrease by $20 million and their CO2 emissions would decrease 60 metric tons - which is equivalent to removing more than 10,000 passenger vehicles from the road. The launch customer for this product is Air Asia.
REAL-TIME OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE – MANUFACTURING
- GE’s Real-Time Operational Intelligence (RtOI) software gives manufacturers a plant-wide perspective on operations, enabling them to proactively detect and predict factors that could have a harmful impact on quality – plant conditions, equipment risk and process breaches. Increased operator efficiency can help reduce recalls nearly 20% making manufacturers less susceptible to the $10 million in brand damage typically associated with a product recall. The launch customer for this product is JHP Pharmaceuticals.
GE offers new software and upgrades that allow customers to monitor and control assets better, helping to reduce resource use and improve reliability.
FLEX EFFICIENCY ADVANTAGE – ENERGY
- GE’s Flex Efficiency Advantage is real-time monitoring on power generation equipment. Power plants can react to real-time changes in power demands, grid conditions and fuel supply, dialing up or down the amount of energy needed and where it comes from. Improved fuel performance and extended maintenance intervals help utilities to increase energy output as well as deliver better and more reliable customer service. A 5% increase in energy output can deliver a total of $1 billion in new value for power plants. The launch customer for this product is Korean Southern Power Co Ltd (KOSPO).
DOSEWATCH – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s DoseWatch provides visibility into radiation dosing so that physicians can eliminate radiation patients receive by 40%, while maintaining the high image quality necessary to diagnose and treat diseases like cancer. The software maintains patient safety and compliance with regulations while enabling hospitals to save on cost of care and patients receiving treatment for one disease are no longer exposing themselves to levels of radiation that could make them susceptible to other side effects. The launch customer for this product is the University of Washington.
SUBSEA INTEGRITY MANAGEMENT- OIL & GAS
- GE's Subsea Integrity Management technology is an underwater remote monitoring system that increases production reliability. The software receives data from sensors measuring vibration, temperature, and leak detection for well heads, manifolds and production stations. With deepwater asset spend expected to exceed $225 billion by 2015, coupled with over $15 billion per year in lost production, GE's condition monitoring system will provide immediate and long term value to deepwater production customers. The launch customer for this product is Shell.
GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 777
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,416
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,032
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,036
Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) will feature the upcoming 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in a New York news documentary about the "New IT for the Future." The documentary will cover how big companies are transmitting or adopting the new IT for the future and will be filmed on the expo floor between June 7-June 9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. KBS has long been a leader in the development of the broadcasting culture of Korea. As the key public service broadcaster of Korea...
May. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,687
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,111
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 24, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 785
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 24, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,085
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 24, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,655
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,852
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will discuss the vast to...
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,359
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,685
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,084
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,857
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,377
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,067
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,760
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 771
SYS-CON Events announced today that 24Notion has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. 24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to con...
May. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,688
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,971