|By Business Wire||
|November 29, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
Minds+Machines 2012 – GE (NYSE: GE) today announced nine new industrial service technologies and a joint venture with Accenture that will help drive a productivity revolution and transform global industries. Combining product diagnostics software and analytics, these technologies will connect machines to machines, machines to people, and machines to business operations allowing airlines, railroads, hospitals, manufacturing and energy companies to operate more efficiently, reduce costs, and potentially eliminate $150 billion in waste across major industries.
The nine new intelligent services will expand GE’s Industrial Internet technologies and deliver four categories of outcomes and benefits to customers including optimized networks, optimized plants and facilities, optimized assets and service quality and productivity. The new technologies, available today, cross major industries, including energy, oil & gas, healthcare, aviation, rail, and manufacturing.
Additionally, as part of GE’s $1 billion overall investment into new service offerings and support for emerging business models announced last year, GE Aviation and Accenture today announced a new joint venture, Taleris™, which will provide airlines and cargo carriers around the world services to improve a plane’s efficiency by using aircraft performance data, prognostics, recovery and planning.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “The Industrial Internet is revolutionizing the services we provide our customers, helping them become more efficient and productive. GE will leverage our $150 billion services backlog to develop technologies that improve the performance of our industrial products and grow our dollars per installed base 4-5% annually.”
According to findings of a new GE report, “Industrial Internet: Pushing the Boundaries of Minds and Machines,” the power of 1% efficiency across industries is substantial savings. For example, over 15 years, just 1% fuel savings in the energy industry could save $66 billion, 1% fuel savings in aviation could yield more than $30 billion in savings and in healthcare, 1% of efficiency gained would mean $63 billion in global healthcare savings.
“The internet has changed the way we consume information and talk with each other, but now it can do more. By connecting intelligent machines to each other and ultimately to people, and by combining software and big data analytics, we can push the boundaries of physical and material sciences to change the way the world works,” Immelt said. “GE plans to launch 20 new additional Industrial service technologies in 2013 to continue to drive this productivity revolution.”
The products being announced today include:
GE networks all the active parts of our customers’ businesses, from assets and operations to the people who make everything run. This will minimize complexity and eliminate waste, allowing customers to fulfill the business mission better.
INTELLIGENT OPERATIONS - AVIATION
Flight delays cost airlines $40 billion every year worldwide. Ten
percent of these delays are related to unexpected aircraft maintenance
issues. GE Aviation’s Intelligent Operations services use proprietary
algorithms to monitor data collected from aircraft equipment, to
diagnose and predict aircraft maintenance issues before they occur. If
an average domestic airline (14 million passengers, 85,000 flights per
year) implemented Intelligent Operations services, 1,000 delayed
departures and flight cancellations could be avoided each year,
helping more than 90,000 passengers get to their destinations on time.
GE and Accenture’s new joint venture, Taleris, will use Intelligent Operations technology to analyze data from “tip to tail” sensors for multiple aircraft parts, components and systems and make predictive recommendations to optimize aircraft maintenance and flight operations. Accenture will provide the architecture to integrate this intelligent information for customers, as well as planning and recovery to optimize the timing and route planning for proactive maintenance across a fleet of aircraft. Taleris will be assuming the planning and recovery business from Navitaire, an Accenture company that provides technology services for the airline industry. The final formation of Taleris is subject to regulatory review. A launch customer will be announced shortly.
RAIL NETWORK OPTIMIZATION – TRANSPORTATION
- GE Transportation’s software solutions deliver customer value and productivity by improving asset, operations and network performance. GE offers solutions across the entire transportation network including railroads, shippers, intermodal terminals, and repair shops. The technologies -- RailConnect Transportation Management System and Movement Planner System – utilize analytics to give real-time access to critical information so railroads can move more freight faster and more intelligently. For North American Class 1 railroads, realizing operational efficiencies is the key. The industry operating ratio is ~73% and a 1% improvement represents $600 million or more in annual savings. In terms of network velocity, Norfolk Southern, a large North America Class I Railroad and a launch customer, estimates that for every 1 mph increase in network speed saves as much as $200 million in annual capital and operating expenses. The launch customer for this product is Norfolk Southern.
GRID IQ SOLUTIONS AS A SERVICE – ENERGY
- GE’s Grid IQ™ Solutions as a Service (SaaS) allows utilities to monitor, manage and control their grid more intelligently. Using a cloud computing services model, these capabilities can be deployed in 50% less time than traditional turnkey project models and 10% of the estimated implementation cost. This allows utilities to work on grid modernization projects without worrying about the financial impact of ongoing IT operations. Grid modernization projects are capital intensive, but GE’s SaaS offering allows the utility to modernize their operations on an OPEX basis versus a CAPEX basis. This change can minimize the utilities’ initial project expenses, and smaller utilities and cooperatives supporting municipalities can expect benefits that could double their net income. Grid IQ™ SaaS replaces the utilities’ IT infrastructure requirements with cloud-based computing and helps utilities manage risks associated with long-term technology investment decisions. SaaS transfers the investment need from the utility to GE by deploying a standard system. The launch customer for this product is Electric Cities of Georgia and the City of Norcross, Georgia.
Optimized Plants & Facilities
GE connects all the machines, equipment and people to make plants and facilities perform better. This offers a complete view of plants and predicts and prevents disruptions, allowing customers to get the most out of their facilities.
HOSPITAL OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (HOM) – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s Hospital Operations Management (HOM) integrates bed assignment, departmental workflow, patient flow, transport, and equipment management to reduce wait times and enable more efficient quality care to be delivered throughout a patient’s stay, from admissions to discharge. Better communications around the hundreds of people, processes, and assets involved in healthcare can save hospitals both time and money, and help reduce the inefficiencies that cost hospitals millions of dollars each year. The launch customer for this product is The Mt. Sinai Hospital, Manhattan.
FUEL AND CARBON SOLUTIONS (F&CS) – AVIATION
- GE Aviation’s Fuel & Carbon Solutions uses proprietary algorithms to evaluate airline operations data and identify opportunities to reduce fuel consumption by more than 2%. If an average-sized airline (70 aircraft, $1 billion annual fuel costs) implemented Fuel & Carbon Solutions to achieve 2% improvement in fuel consumption, their annual fuel expenditure would decrease by $20 million and their CO2 emissions would decrease 60 metric tons - which is equivalent to removing more than 10,000 passenger vehicles from the road. The launch customer for this product is Air Asia.
REAL-TIME OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE – MANUFACTURING
- GE’s Real-Time Operational Intelligence (RtOI) software gives manufacturers a plant-wide perspective on operations, enabling them to proactively detect and predict factors that could have a harmful impact on quality – plant conditions, equipment risk and process breaches. Increased operator efficiency can help reduce recalls nearly 20% making manufacturers less susceptible to the $10 million in brand damage typically associated with a product recall. The launch customer for this product is JHP Pharmaceuticals.
GE offers new software and upgrades that allow customers to monitor and control assets better, helping to reduce resource use and improve reliability.
FLEX EFFICIENCY ADVANTAGE – ENERGY
- GE’s Flex Efficiency Advantage is real-time monitoring on power generation equipment. Power plants can react to real-time changes in power demands, grid conditions and fuel supply, dialing up or down the amount of energy needed and where it comes from. Improved fuel performance and extended maintenance intervals help utilities to increase energy output as well as deliver better and more reliable customer service. A 5% increase in energy output can deliver a total of $1 billion in new value for power plants. The launch customer for this product is Korean Southern Power Co Ltd (KOSPO).
DOSEWATCH – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s DoseWatch provides visibility into radiation dosing so that physicians can eliminate radiation patients receive by 40%, while maintaining the high image quality necessary to diagnose and treat diseases like cancer. The software maintains patient safety and compliance with regulations while enabling hospitals to save on cost of care and patients receiving treatment for one disease are no longer exposing themselves to levels of radiation that could make them susceptible to other side effects. The launch customer for this product is the University of Washington.
SUBSEA INTEGRITY MANAGEMENT- OIL & GAS
- GE's Subsea Integrity Management technology is an underwater remote monitoring system that increases production reliability. The software receives data from sensors measuring vibration, temperature, and leak detection for well heads, manifolds and production stations. With deepwater asset spend expected to exceed $225 billion by 2015, coupled with over $15 billion per year in lost production, GE's condition monitoring system will provide immediate and long term value to deepwater production customers. The launch customer for this product is Shell.
GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 24, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,896
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,377
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 24, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,841
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 24, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,571
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,840
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,789
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 23, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,205
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 23, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,480
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,969
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Aug. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,745
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 23, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,628
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,795
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 23, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,499
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 23, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,405
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,715
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 23, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,027
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 23, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,222
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,035
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,625
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Aug. 22, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,143