|By Business Wire||
|November 29, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
Minds+Machines 2012 – GE (NYSE: GE) today announced nine new industrial service technologies and a joint venture with Accenture that will help drive a productivity revolution and transform global industries. Combining product diagnostics software and analytics, these technologies will connect machines to machines, machines to people, and machines to business operations allowing airlines, railroads, hospitals, manufacturing and energy companies to operate more efficiently, reduce costs, and potentially eliminate $150 billion in waste across major industries.
The nine new intelligent services will expand GE’s Industrial Internet technologies and deliver four categories of outcomes and benefits to customers including optimized networks, optimized plants and facilities, optimized assets and service quality and productivity. The new technologies, available today, cross major industries, including energy, oil & gas, healthcare, aviation, rail, and manufacturing.
Additionally, as part of GE’s $1 billion overall investment into new service offerings and support for emerging business models announced last year, GE Aviation and Accenture today announced a new joint venture, Taleris™, which will provide airlines and cargo carriers around the world services to improve a plane’s efficiency by using aircraft performance data, prognostics, recovery and planning.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “The Industrial Internet is revolutionizing the services we provide our customers, helping them become more efficient and productive. GE will leverage our $150 billion services backlog to develop technologies that improve the performance of our industrial products and grow our dollars per installed base 4-5% annually.”
According to findings of a new GE report, “Industrial Internet: Pushing the Boundaries of Minds and Machines,” the power of 1% efficiency across industries is substantial savings. For example, over 15 years, just 1% fuel savings in the energy industry could save $66 billion, 1% fuel savings in aviation could yield more than $30 billion in savings and in healthcare, 1% of efficiency gained would mean $63 billion in global healthcare savings.
“The internet has changed the way we consume information and talk with each other, but now it can do more. By connecting intelligent machines to each other and ultimately to people, and by combining software and big data analytics, we can push the boundaries of physical and material sciences to change the way the world works,” Immelt said. “GE plans to launch 20 new additional Industrial service technologies in 2013 to continue to drive this productivity revolution.”
The products being announced today include:
GE networks all the active parts of our customers’ businesses, from assets and operations to the people who make everything run. This will minimize complexity and eliminate waste, allowing customers to fulfill the business mission better.
INTELLIGENT OPERATIONS - AVIATION
Flight delays cost airlines $40 billion every year worldwide. Ten
percent of these delays are related to unexpected aircraft maintenance
issues. GE Aviation’s Intelligent Operations services use proprietary
algorithms to monitor data collected from aircraft equipment, to
diagnose and predict aircraft maintenance issues before they occur. If
an average domestic airline (14 million passengers, 85,000 flights per
year) implemented Intelligent Operations services, 1,000 delayed
departures and flight cancellations could be avoided each year,
helping more than 90,000 passengers get to their destinations on time.
GE and Accenture’s new joint venture, Taleris, will use Intelligent Operations technology to analyze data from “tip to tail” sensors for multiple aircraft parts, components and systems and make predictive recommendations to optimize aircraft maintenance and flight operations. Accenture will provide the architecture to integrate this intelligent information for customers, as well as planning and recovery to optimize the timing and route planning for proactive maintenance across a fleet of aircraft. Taleris will be assuming the planning and recovery business from Navitaire, an Accenture company that provides technology services for the airline industry. The final formation of Taleris is subject to regulatory review. A launch customer will be announced shortly.
RAIL NETWORK OPTIMIZATION – TRANSPORTATION
- GE Transportation’s software solutions deliver customer value and productivity by improving asset, operations and network performance. GE offers solutions across the entire transportation network including railroads, shippers, intermodal terminals, and repair shops. The technologies -- RailConnect Transportation Management System and Movement Planner System – utilize analytics to give real-time access to critical information so railroads can move more freight faster and more intelligently. For North American Class 1 railroads, realizing operational efficiencies is the key. The industry operating ratio is ~73% and a 1% improvement represents $600 million or more in annual savings. In terms of network velocity, Norfolk Southern, a large North America Class I Railroad and a launch customer, estimates that for every 1 mph increase in network speed saves as much as $200 million in annual capital and operating expenses. The launch customer for this product is Norfolk Southern.
GRID IQ SOLUTIONS AS A SERVICE – ENERGY
- GE’s Grid IQ™ Solutions as a Service (SaaS) allows utilities to monitor, manage and control their grid more intelligently. Using a cloud computing services model, these capabilities can be deployed in 50% less time than traditional turnkey project models and 10% of the estimated implementation cost. This allows utilities to work on grid modernization projects without worrying about the financial impact of ongoing IT operations. Grid modernization projects are capital intensive, but GE’s SaaS offering allows the utility to modernize their operations on an OPEX basis versus a CAPEX basis. This change can minimize the utilities’ initial project expenses, and smaller utilities and cooperatives supporting municipalities can expect benefits that could double their net income. Grid IQ™ SaaS replaces the utilities’ IT infrastructure requirements with cloud-based computing and helps utilities manage risks associated with long-term technology investment decisions. SaaS transfers the investment need from the utility to GE by deploying a standard system. The launch customer for this product is Electric Cities of Georgia and the City of Norcross, Georgia.
Optimized Plants & Facilities
GE connects all the machines, equipment and people to make plants and facilities perform better. This offers a complete view of plants and predicts and prevents disruptions, allowing customers to get the most out of their facilities.
HOSPITAL OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (HOM) – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s Hospital Operations Management (HOM) integrates bed assignment, departmental workflow, patient flow, transport, and equipment management to reduce wait times and enable more efficient quality care to be delivered throughout a patient’s stay, from admissions to discharge. Better communications around the hundreds of people, processes, and assets involved in healthcare can save hospitals both time and money, and help reduce the inefficiencies that cost hospitals millions of dollars each year. The launch customer for this product is The Mt. Sinai Hospital, Manhattan.
FUEL AND CARBON SOLUTIONS (F&CS) – AVIATION
- GE Aviation’s Fuel & Carbon Solutions uses proprietary algorithms to evaluate airline operations data and identify opportunities to reduce fuel consumption by more than 2%. If an average-sized airline (70 aircraft, $1 billion annual fuel costs) implemented Fuel & Carbon Solutions to achieve 2% improvement in fuel consumption, their annual fuel expenditure would decrease by $20 million and their CO2 emissions would decrease 60 metric tons - which is equivalent to removing more than 10,000 passenger vehicles from the road. The launch customer for this product is Air Asia.
REAL-TIME OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE – MANUFACTURING
- GE’s Real-Time Operational Intelligence (RtOI) software gives manufacturers a plant-wide perspective on operations, enabling them to proactively detect and predict factors that could have a harmful impact on quality – plant conditions, equipment risk and process breaches. Increased operator efficiency can help reduce recalls nearly 20% making manufacturers less susceptible to the $10 million in brand damage typically associated with a product recall. The launch customer for this product is JHP Pharmaceuticals.
GE offers new software and upgrades that allow customers to monitor and control assets better, helping to reduce resource use and improve reliability.
FLEX EFFICIENCY ADVANTAGE – ENERGY
- GE’s Flex Efficiency Advantage is real-time monitoring on power generation equipment. Power plants can react to real-time changes in power demands, grid conditions and fuel supply, dialing up or down the amount of energy needed and where it comes from. Improved fuel performance and extended maintenance intervals help utilities to increase energy output as well as deliver better and more reliable customer service. A 5% increase in energy output can deliver a total of $1 billion in new value for power plants. The launch customer for this product is Korean Southern Power Co Ltd (KOSPO).
DOSEWATCH – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s DoseWatch provides visibility into radiation dosing so that physicians can eliminate radiation patients receive by 40%, while maintaining the high image quality necessary to diagnose and treat diseases like cancer. The software maintains patient safety and compliance with regulations while enabling hospitals to save on cost of care and patients receiving treatment for one disease are no longer exposing themselves to levels of radiation that could make them susceptible to other side effects. The launch customer for this product is the University of Washington.
SUBSEA INTEGRITY MANAGEMENT- OIL & GAS
- GE's Subsea Integrity Management technology is an underwater remote monitoring system that increases production reliability. The software receives data from sensors measuring vibration, temperature, and leak detection for well heads, manifolds and production stations. With deepwater asset spend expected to exceed $225 billion by 2015, coupled with over $15 billion per year in lost production, GE's condition monitoring system will provide immediate and long term value to deepwater production customers. The launch customer for this product is Shell.
GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,290
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,201
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 929
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,238
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,291
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 947
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,123
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 759
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,280
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,104
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,336
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,071
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,081
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 599
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 730
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,595
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,353
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,633
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,368
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,268