|By Business Wire||
|November 29, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
Minds+Machines 2012 – GE (NYSE: GE) today announced nine new industrial service technologies and a joint venture with Accenture that will help drive a productivity revolution and transform global industries. Combining product diagnostics software and analytics, these technologies will connect machines to machines, machines to people, and machines to business operations allowing airlines, railroads, hospitals, manufacturing and energy companies to operate more efficiently, reduce costs, and potentially eliminate $150 billion in waste across major industries.
The nine new intelligent services will expand GE’s Industrial Internet technologies and deliver four categories of outcomes and benefits to customers including optimized networks, optimized plants and facilities, optimized assets and service quality and productivity. The new technologies, available today, cross major industries, including energy, oil & gas, healthcare, aviation, rail, and manufacturing.
Additionally, as part of GE’s $1 billion overall investment into new service offerings and support for emerging business models announced last year, GE Aviation and Accenture today announced a new joint venture, Taleris™, which will provide airlines and cargo carriers around the world services to improve a plane’s efficiency by using aircraft performance data, prognostics, recovery and planning.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “The Industrial Internet is revolutionizing the services we provide our customers, helping them become more efficient and productive. GE will leverage our $150 billion services backlog to develop technologies that improve the performance of our industrial products and grow our dollars per installed base 4-5% annually.”
According to findings of a new GE report, “Industrial Internet: Pushing the Boundaries of Minds and Machines,” the power of 1% efficiency across industries is substantial savings. For example, over 15 years, just 1% fuel savings in the energy industry could save $66 billion, 1% fuel savings in aviation could yield more than $30 billion in savings and in healthcare, 1% of efficiency gained would mean $63 billion in global healthcare savings.
“The internet has changed the way we consume information and talk with each other, but now it can do more. By connecting intelligent machines to each other and ultimately to people, and by combining software and big data analytics, we can push the boundaries of physical and material sciences to change the way the world works,” Immelt said. “GE plans to launch 20 new additional Industrial service technologies in 2013 to continue to drive this productivity revolution.”
The products being announced today include:
GE networks all the active parts of our customers’ businesses, from assets and operations to the people who make everything run. This will minimize complexity and eliminate waste, allowing customers to fulfill the business mission better.
INTELLIGENT OPERATIONS - AVIATION
Flight delays cost airlines $40 billion every year worldwide. Ten
percent of these delays are related to unexpected aircraft maintenance
issues. GE Aviation’s Intelligent Operations services use proprietary
algorithms to monitor data collected from aircraft equipment, to
diagnose and predict aircraft maintenance issues before they occur. If
an average domestic airline (14 million passengers, 85,000 flights per
year) implemented Intelligent Operations services, 1,000 delayed
departures and flight cancellations could be avoided each year,
helping more than 90,000 passengers get to their destinations on time.
GE and Accenture’s new joint venture, Taleris, will use Intelligent Operations technology to analyze data from “tip to tail” sensors for multiple aircraft parts, components and systems and make predictive recommendations to optimize aircraft maintenance and flight operations. Accenture will provide the architecture to integrate this intelligent information for customers, as well as planning and recovery to optimize the timing and route planning for proactive maintenance across a fleet of aircraft. Taleris will be assuming the planning and recovery business from Navitaire, an Accenture company that provides technology services for the airline industry. The final formation of Taleris is subject to regulatory review. A launch customer will be announced shortly.
RAIL NETWORK OPTIMIZATION – TRANSPORTATION
- GE Transportation’s software solutions deliver customer value and productivity by improving asset, operations and network performance. GE offers solutions across the entire transportation network including railroads, shippers, intermodal terminals, and repair shops. The technologies -- RailConnect Transportation Management System and Movement Planner System – utilize analytics to give real-time access to critical information so railroads can move more freight faster and more intelligently. For North American Class 1 railroads, realizing operational efficiencies is the key. The industry operating ratio is ~73% and a 1% improvement represents $600 million or more in annual savings. In terms of network velocity, Norfolk Southern, a large North America Class I Railroad and a launch customer, estimates that for every 1 mph increase in network speed saves as much as $200 million in annual capital and operating expenses. The launch customer for this product is Norfolk Southern.
GRID IQ SOLUTIONS AS A SERVICE – ENERGY
- GE’s Grid IQ™ Solutions as a Service (SaaS) allows utilities to monitor, manage and control their grid more intelligently. Using a cloud computing services model, these capabilities can be deployed in 50% less time than traditional turnkey project models and 10% of the estimated implementation cost. This allows utilities to work on grid modernization projects without worrying about the financial impact of ongoing IT operations. Grid modernization projects are capital intensive, but GE’s SaaS offering allows the utility to modernize their operations on an OPEX basis versus a CAPEX basis. This change can minimize the utilities’ initial project expenses, and smaller utilities and cooperatives supporting municipalities can expect benefits that could double their net income. Grid IQ™ SaaS replaces the utilities’ IT infrastructure requirements with cloud-based computing and helps utilities manage risks associated with long-term technology investment decisions. SaaS transfers the investment need from the utility to GE by deploying a standard system. The launch customer for this product is Electric Cities of Georgia and the City of Norcross, Georgia.
Optimized Plants & Facilities
GE connects all the machines, equipment and people to make plants and facilities perform better. This offers a complete view of plants and predicts and prevents disruptions, allowing customers to get the most out of their facilities.
HOSPITAL OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (HOM) – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s Hospital Operations Management (HOM) integrates bed assignment, departmental workflow, patient flow, transport, and equipment management to reduce wait times and enable more efficient quality care to be delivered throughout a patient’s stay, from admissions to discharge. Better communications around the hundreds of people, processes, and assets involved in healthcare can save hospitals both time and money, and help reduce the inefficiencies that cost hospitals millions of dollars each year. The launch customer for this product is The Mt. Sinai Hospital, Manhattan.
FUEL AND CARBON SOLUTIONS (F&CS) – AVIATION
- GE Aviation’s Fuel & Carbon Solutions uses proprietary algorithms to evaluate airline operations data and identify opportunities to reduce fuel consumption by more than 2%. If an average-sized airline (70 aircraft, $1 billion annual fuel costs) implemented Fuel & Carbon Solutions to achieve 2% improvement in fuel consumption, their annual fuel expenditure would decrease by $20 million and their CO2 emissions would decrease 60 metric tons - which is equivalent to removing more than 10,000 passenger vehicles from the road. The launch customer for this product is Air Asia.
REAL-TIME OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE – MANUFACTURING
- GE’s Real-Time Operational Intelligence (RtOI) software gives manufacturers a plant-wide perspective on operations, enabling them to proactively detect and predict factors that could have a harmful impact on quality – plant conditions, equipment risk and process breaches. Increased operator efficiency can help reduce recalls nearly 20% making manufacturers less susceptible to the $10 million in brand damage typically associated with a product recall. The launch customer for this product is JHP Pharmaceuticals.
GE offers new software and upgrades that allow customers to monitor and control assets better, helping to reduce resource use and improve reliability.
FLEX EFFICIENCY ADVANTAGE – ENERGY
- GE’s Flex Efficiency Advantage is real-time monitoring on power generation equipment. Power plants can react to real-time changes in power demands, grid conditions and fuel supply, dialing up or down the amount of energy needed and where it comes from. Improved fuel performance and extended maintenance intervals help utilities to increase energy output as well as deliver better and more reliable customer service. A 5% increase in energy output can deliver a total of $1 billion in new value for power plants. The launch customer for this product is Korean Southern Power Co Ltd (KOSPO).
DOSEWATCH – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s DoseWatch provides visibility into radiation dosing so that physicians can eliminate radiation patients receive by 40%, while maintaining the high image quality necessary to diagnose and treat diseases like cancer. The software maintains patient safety and compliance with regulations while enabling hospitals to save on cost of care and patients receiving treatment for one disease are no longer exposing themselves to levels of radiation that could make them susceptible to other side effects. The launch customer for this product is the University of Washington.
SUBSEA INTEGRITY MANAGEMENT- OIL & GAS
- GE's Subsea Integrity Management technology is an underwater remote monitoring system that increases production reliability. The software receives data from sensors measuring vibration, temperature, and leak detection for well heads, manifolds and production stations. With deepwater asset spend expected to exceed $225 billion by 2015, coupled with over $15 billion per year in lost production, GE's condition monitoring system will provide immediate and long term value to deepwater production customers. The launch customer for this product is Shell.
GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will meet your customers' needs of tomorrow - today! Ciqada. Let your products take flight. For more inform...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,522
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applications - creating more engaging experiences for their customers and boosting collaboration and productiv...
Apr. 18, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,208
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Company’s core communications platform enables the delivery of a range of enterprise and consumer calling...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,143
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communications (RTC) services for app developers. VoxImplant (built by Zingaya, the real-time communication servi...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,781
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 884
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 17, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements around Unified Networks, Cloud Computing strategies, Virtualization around Software defined Data Ce...
Apr. 17, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,309
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
Apr. 17, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,392
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 17, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,042
With IoT exploding, massive data will transform businesses with opportunities to monetize almost anything that can be measured. In this C-Level Roundtable Discussion at @ThingsExpo, Brendan O’Brien, Aria Systems Co-founder and Chief Evangelist, will lead an expert panel of consultants, thought leaders and practitioners who will look at these new monetization trends, discuss the implications, and detail lessons learned from their collective experience. Finally, the panel will point the way forward for enterprises who wish to leverage the resulting complex recurring revenue models, adding valu...
Apr. 17, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,367
How is unified communications transforming the way businesses operate? In his session at WebRTC Summit, Arvind Rangarajan, Director of Product Marketing at BroadSoft, will discuss how to extend unified communications experience outside the enterprise through WebRTC. He will also review use cases across different industry verticals. Arvind Rangarajan is Director, Product Marketing at BroadSoft. He has over 19 years of experience in the telecommunications industry in various roles such as Software Development, Product Management and Product Marketing, applied across Wireless, Unified Communic...
Apr. 17, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,531
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? Join this panel of experts as they peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you’ll have no problem filling in your buzzword bingo cards.
Apr. 16, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,098
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Apr. 13, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,872
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this case) takes into account the number and quality of contextual references that a user receives.
Apr. 12, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,894
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Apr. 11, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,224
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Apr. 11, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,011
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Whether public, private, or in a hybrid form, clo...
Apr. 8, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,989
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Apr. 8, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,270
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, will provide some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the datacenter.
Apr. 7, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,488
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Apr. 6, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,640