|By Business Wire||
|November 29, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
Minds+Machines 2012 – GE (NYSE: GE) today announced nine new industrial service technologies and a joint venture with Accenture that will help drive a productivity revolution and transform global industries. Combining product diagnostics software and analytics, these technologies will connect machines to machines, machines to people, and machines to business operations allowing airlines, railroads, hospitals, manufacturing and energy companies to operate more efficiently, reduce costs, and potentially eliminate $150 billion in waste across major industries.
The nine new intelligent services will expand GE’s Industrial Internet technologies and deliver four categories of outcomes and benefits to customers including optimized networks, optimized plants and facilities, optimized assets and service quality and productivity. The new technologies, available today, cross major industries, including energy, oil & gas, healthcare, aviation, rail, and manufacturing.
Additionally, as part of GE’s $1 billion overall investment into new service offerings and support for emerging business models announced last year, GE Aviation and Accenture today announced a new joint venture, Taleris™, which will provide airlines and cargo carriers around the world services to improve a plane’s efficiency by using aircraft performance data, prognostics, recovery and planning.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “The Industrial Internet is revolutionizing the services we provide our customers, helping them become more efficient and productive. GE will leverage our $150 billion services backlog to develop technologies that improve the performance of our industrial products and grow our dollars per installed base 4-5% annually.”
According to findings of a new GE report, “Industrial Internet: Pushing the Boundaries of Minds and Machines,” the power of 1% efficiency across industries is substantial savings. For example, over 15 years, just 1% fuel savings in the energy industry could save $66 billion, 1% fuel savings in aviation could yield more than $30 billion in savings and in healthcare, 1% of efficiency gained would mean $63 billion in global healthcare savings.
“The internet has changed the way we consume information and talk with each other, but now it can do more. By connecting intelligent machines to each other and ultimately to people, and by combining software and big data analytics, we can push the boundaries of physical and material sciences to change the way the world works,” Immelt said. “GE plans to launch 20 new additional Industrial service technologies in 2013 to continue to drive this productivity revolution.”
The products being announced today include:
GE networks all the active parts of our customers’ businesses, from assets and operations to the people who make everything run. This will minimize complexity and eliminate waste, allowing customers to fulfill the business mission better.
INTELLIGENT OPERATIONS - AVIATION
Flight delays cost airlines $40 billion every year worldwide. Ten
percent of these delays are related to unexpected aircraft maintenance
issues. GE Aviation’s Intelligent Operations services use proprietary
algorithms to monitor data collected from aircraft equipment, to
diagnose and predict aircraft maintenance issues before they occur. If
an average domestic airline (14 million passengers, 85,000 flights per
year) implemented Intelligent Operations services, 1,000 delayed
departures and flight cancellations could be avoided each year,
helping more than 90,000 passengers get to their destinations on time.
GE and Accenture’s new joint venture, Taleris, will use Intelligent Operations technology to analyze data from “tip to tail” sensors for multiple aircraft parts, components and systems and make predictive recommendations to optimize aircraft maintenance and flight operations. Accenture will provide the architecture to integrate this intelligent information for customers, as well as planning and recovery to optimize the timing and route planning for proactive maintenance across a fleet of aircraft. Taleris will be assuming the planning and recovery business from Navitaire, an Accenture company that provides technology services for the airline industry. The final formation of Taleris is subject to regulatory review. A launch customer will be announced shortly.
RAIL NETWORK OPTIMIZATION – TRANSPORTATION
- GE Transportation’s software solutions deliver customer value and productivity by improving asset, operations and network performance. GE offers solutions across the entire transportation network including railroads, shippers, intermodal terminals, and repair shops. The technologies -- RailConnect Transportation Management System and Movement Planner System – utilize analytics to give real-time access to critical information so railroads can move more freight faster and more intelligently. For North American Class 1 railroads, realizing operational efficiencies is the key. The industry operating ratio is ~73% and a 1% improvement represents $600 million or more in annual savings. In terms of network velocity, Norfolk Southern, a large North America Class I Railroad and a launch customer, estimates that for every 1 mph increase in network speed saves as much as $200 million in annual capital and operating expenses. The launch customer for this product is Norfolk Southern.
GRID IQ SOLUTIONS AS A SERVICE – ENERGY
- GE’s Grid IQ™ Solutions as a Service (SaaS) allows utilities to monitor, manage and control their grid more intelligently. Using a cloud computing services model, these capabilities can be deployed in 50% less time than traditional turnkey project models and 10% of the estimated implementation cost. This allows utilities to work on grid modernization projects without worrying about the financial impact of ongoing IT operations. Grid modernization projects are capital intensive, but GE’s SaaS offering allows the utility to modernize their operations on an OPEX basis versus a CAPEX basis. This change can minimize the utilities’ initial project expenses, and smaller utilities and cooperatives supporting municipalities can expect benefits that could double their net income. Grid IQ™ SaaS replaces the utilities’ IT infrastructure requirements with cloud-based computing and helps utilities manage risks associated with long-term technology investment decisions. SaaS transfers the investment need from the utility to GE by deploying a standard system. The launch customer for this product is Electric Cities of Georgia and the City of Norcross, Georgia.
Optimized Plants & Facilities
GE connects all the machines, equipment and people to make plants and facilities perform better. This offers a complete view of plants and predicts and prevents disruptions, allowing customers to get the most out of their facilities.
HOSPITAL OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (HOM) – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s Hospital Operations Management (HOM) integrates bed assignment, departmental workflow, patient flow, transport, and equipment management to reduce wait times and enable more efficient quality care to be delivered throughout a patient’s stay, from admissions to discharge. Better communications around the hundreds of people, processes, and assets involved in healthcare can save hospitals both time and money, and help reduce the inefficiencies that cost hospitals millions of dollars each year. The launch customer for this product is The Mt. Sinai Hospital, Manhattan.
FUEL AND CARBON SOLUTIONS (F&CS) – AVIATION
- GE Aviation’s Fuel & Carbon Solutions uses proprietary algorithms to evaluate airline operations data and identify opportunities to reduce fuel consumption by more than 2%. If an average-sized airline (70 aircraft, $1 billion annual fuel costs) implemented Fuel & Carbon Solutions to achieve 2% improvement in fuel consumption, their annual fuel expenditure would decrease by $20 million and their CO2 emissions would decrease 60 metric tons - which is equivalent to removing more than 10,000 passenger vehicles from the road. The launch customer for this product is Air Asia.
REAL-TIME OPERATIONAL INTELLIGENCE – MANUFACTURING
- GE’s Real-Time Operational Intelligence (RtOI) software gives manufacturers a plant-wide perspective on operations, enabling them to proactively detect and predict factors that could have a harmful impact on quality – plant conditions, equipment risk and process breaches. Increased operator efficiency can help reduce recalls nearly 20% making manufacturers less susceptible to the $10 million in brand damage typically associated with a product recall. The launch customer for this product is JHP Pharmaceuticals.
GE offers new software and upgrades that allow customers to monitor and control assets better, helping to reduce resource use and improve reliability.
FLEX EFFICIENCY ADVANTAGE – ENERGY
- GE’s Flex Efficiency Advantage is real-time monitoring on power generation equipment. Power plants can react to real-time changes in power demands, grid conditions and fuel supply, dialing up or down the amount of energy needed and where it comes from. Improved fuel performance and extended maintenance intervals help utilities to increase energy output as well as deliver better and more reliable customer service. A 5% increase in energy output can deliver a total of $1 billion in new value for power plants. The launch customer for this product is Korean Southern Power Co Ltd (KOSPO).
DOSEWATCH – HEALTHCARE
- GE’s DoseWatch provides visibility into radiation dosing so that physicians can eliminate radiation patients receive by 40%, while maintaining the high image quality necessary to diagnose and treat diseases like cancer. The software maintains patient safety and compliance with regulations while enabling hospitals to save on cost of care and patients receiving treatment for one disease are no longer exposing themselves to levels of radiation that could make them susceptible to other side effects. The launch customer for this product is the University of Washington.
SUBSEA INTEGRITY MANAGEMENT- OIL & GAS
- GE's Subsea Integrity Management technology is an underwater remote monitoring system that increases production reliability. The software receives data from sensors measuring vibration, temperature, and leak detection for well heads, manifolds and production stations. With deepwater asset spend expected to exceed $225 billion by 2015, coupled with over $15 billion per year in lost production, GE's condition monitoring system will provide immediate and long term value to deepwater production customers. The launch customer for this product is Shell.
GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 31, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,580
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Mar. 31, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 540
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Mar. 31, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,003
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,007
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Mar. 31, 2015 02:39 PM EDT Reads: 452
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,553
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable cloud platform.
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 614
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Mar. 31, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,227
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Mar. 31, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,292
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 31, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,704
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Mar. 31, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,106
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,561
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,187
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Mar. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,549
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,525
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,869
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,283
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,892
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. He will also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platf...
Mar. 29, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,472
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Mar. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,231