|By Business Wire||
|December 12, 2012 10:37 AM EST||
TEKsystems®, a leading provider of IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services, today released new research showing that IT leaders are almost evenly split on expectations regarding budget increases for 2013. Additionally, IT leaders are gravitating toward investing in core application and infrastructure services and staff, with a greater interest in permanent hiring. Finally, the vast majority of organizations have no concern regarding loss of skills as it relates to baby boomer retirement.
More than 600 IT leaders (CIOs, IT VPs, IT directors, IT managers) were polled in September 2012 to understand the current state of IT spending, skills needs and workforce issues to identify critical areas. The full results of the survey, a video and infographic are available from TEKsystems at www.teksystems.com/resources/research/annual-it-forecast-2013.
Key highlights from the survey include:
Spending and Challenges
- IT leaders are nearly evenly split on whether IT budgets will grow versus remaining the same or declining. Forty-eight percent expect an increase in their organization’s IT budget, while 52 percent expect it to remain the same (27 percent), decline (16 percent) or didn’t know (9 percent).
- IT leaders’ confidence in whether their budgets will support the business needs of the organization closely mirror spending expectations. Fifty-four percent are confident that budgets will be adequate, while 46 percent are neutral (25 percent), unconfident (16 percent) or didn’t know (5 percent).
- IT leaders still see budget as their greatest challenge. In ranking the top challenges, “acquiring necessary budgets” ranked first, followed by “attracting, retaining and developing top talent” and “improving IT performance/efficiency.”
Areas of Investment and Organizational Impact
- Application and Infrastructure services spending top the list. When asked which areas IT leaders expected spending to increase, 49 percent expected growth in IT Applications Services spending and 47 percent expected growth in IT Infrastructure Services spending.
- Outsourcing and education services spending lose momentum. Sixty-nine percent of IT leaders expected spending for outsourcing services to stay the same (39 percent), decline (20 percent) or didn’t know (10 percent). For IT education and training, 70 percent expected it to stay the same (44 percent), decline (17 percent) or didn’t know (9 percent).
- Top three impact areas include newer trends such as business intelligence and cloud computing, yet security still remains high. Business intelligence, cloud computing and security were the top three trends expected to have the largest organizational impact. Additionally, more than 58 percent of IT leaders expected the trend towards cloud-based and “as-a-service” offerings to drive an increase in demand for IT skills, while less than 15 percent expected it to decrease.
- Operations a top concern. IT leaders ranked “operations” as having the largest increase in IT needs, followed by “marketing/sales” and “finance/accounting.”
Hiring, Compensation and Skills Replenishment
- IT leaders slightly positive towards salary increases. In terms of compensation, 55 percent of IT leaders expect their IT staff’s salary to increase, while 44 percent expect it to remain the same (34 percent), decrease (4 percent) or didn’t know (7 percent).
- “Core skills” expect to see highest salary increases. When asked which IT staff salaries were expected to change, more than 40 percent of IT leaders expected salary increases for developers, engineers, project managers and security experts. More than 30 percent of IT leaders expected salary increases for business analysts, architects, analytic experts, cloud experts, help-desk and support, mobile and .NET technologies. Mirroring the expected salary changes, developers, architects and analytics experts ranked highest in difficulty of obtaining. Surprisingly, social media skills saw the lowest expectation of positive salary growth with less than 30 percent expecting an increase.
- Organizations expect an increase in permanent headcount over other hiring models. For those IT leaders that are expecting to increase headcount, 39 percent expect to increase permanent IT headcount and 36 percent expect an increase in temporary headcount, while only 16 percent expect an increase in part-time headcount.
- Organizations don’t seem concerned with the loss of skills based on baby boomer retirement. Just slightly more than one-quarter (27 percent) of IT leaders foresee the loss of skills due to baby boomer retirement as a problem for their organization. Sixty-three percent felt it would not cause an issue, while 10 percent had no opinion. Additionally, of the 27 percent of respondents who did see baby boomer retirement as a problem, only 15 percent had any retention programs to encourage baby boomers to postpone retirement.
“IT leaders are practically split on expectations for IT budget increases and still recognize budget procurement as one of their greatest challenges in the current economic climate. As such, IT leaders’ focus on investing in core application, infrastructure and operational needs like business intelligence and cloud architectures is naturally driving the demand for related skills,” said TEKsystems market research manager, Jason Hayman. “Successfully delivering return on investment (ROI) on these initiatives makes hiring the right people very important, especially for skills expected to have the greatest business impact. Interestingly, the majority of IT leaders are optimistic about their organizations’ abilities to respond to a potential baby boomer exodus which makes the importance of strategic workforce planning even greater.”
TEKsystems' Jason Hayman, market research manager, is available for additional commentary. Please contact Paul Roberts ([email protected]) to schedule an interview. For more information about the survey, including the executive summary, please contact [email protected].
People are at the heart of every successful business initiative. At TEKsystems, we understand people. Every year we deploy over 80,000 IT professionals at 6,000 client sites across North America, Europe and Asia. Our deep insights into IT human capital management enable us to help our clients achieve their business goals – while optimizing their IT workforce strategies. We provide IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services to help our clients plan, build and run their critical business initiatives. Through our range of quality-focused delivery models, we meet our clients where they are, and take them where they want to go, the way they want to get there.
TEKsystems. Our people make IT possible. Visit us online at www.TEKsystems.com.
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:25 AM EST
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:15 AM EST Reads: 192
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 102
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 11, 2016 06:45 AM EST Reads: 441
Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) extended its Internet of Things technology platform with performance enhancements to Gen5 – its fifth generation critical infrastructure networking platform. Already delivering nearly 23 million devices on five continents as one of the leading networking providers in the market, Silver Spring announced it is doubling the maximum speed of its Gen5 network to up to 2.4 Mbps, increasing computational performance by 10x, supporting simultaneous mesh communic...
Feb. 11, 2016 05:00 AM EST
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 212
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 227
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 114
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 432
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 403
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 431
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 624
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 199
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 116
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 257
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 234
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 393
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 774