|By Business Wire||
|December 12, 2012 10:37 AM EST||
TEKsystems®, a leading provider of IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services, today released new research showing that IT leaders are almost evenly split on expectations regarding budget increases for 2013. Additionally, IT leaders are gravitating toward investing in core application and infrastructure services and staff, with a greater interest in permanent hiring. Finally, the vast majority of organizations have no concern regarding loss of skills as it relates to baby boomer retirement.
More than 600 IT leaders (CIOs, IT VPs, IT directors, IT managers) were polled in September 2012 to understand the current state of IT spending, skills needs and workforce issues to identify critical areas. The full results of the survey, a video and infographic are available from TEKsystems at www.teksystems.com/resources/research/annual-it-forecast-2013.
Key highlights from the survey include:
Spending and Challenges
- IT leaders are nearly evenly split on whether IT budgets will grow versus remaining the same or declining. Forty-eight percent expect an increase in their organization’s IT budget, while 52 percent expect it to remain the same (27 percent), decline (16 percent) or didn’t know (9 percent).
- IT leaders’ confidence in whether their budgets will support the business needs of the organization closely mirror spending expectations. Fifty-four percent are confident that budgets will be adequate, while 46 percent are neutral (25 percent), unconfident (16 percent) or didn’t know (5 percent).
- IT leaders still see budget as their greatest challenge. In ranking the top challenges, “acquiring necessary budgets” ranked first, followed by “attracting, retaining and developing top talent” and “improving IT performance/efficiency.”
Areas of Investment and Organizational Impact
- Application and Infrastructure services spending top the list. When asked which areas IT leaders expected spending to increase, 49 percent expected growth in IT Applications Services spending and 47 percent expected growth in IT Infrastructure Services spending.
- Outsourcing and education services spending lose momentum. Sixty-nine percent of IT leaders expected spending for outsourcing services to stay the same (39 percent), decline (20 percent) or didn’t know (10 percent). For IT education and training, 70 percent expected it to stay the same (44 percent), decline (17 percent) or didn’t know (9 percent).
- Top three impact areas include newer trends such as business intelligence and cloud computing, yet security still remains high. Business intelligence, cloud computing and security were the top three trends expected to have the largest organizational impact. Additionally, more than 58 percent of IT leaders expected the trend towards cloud-based and “as-a-service” offerings to drive an increase in demand for IT skills, while less than 15 percent expected it to decrease.
- Operations a top concern. IT leaders ranked “operations” as having the largest increase in IT needs, followed by “marketing/sales” and “finance/accounting.”
Hiring, Compensation and Skills Replenishment
- IT leaders slightly positive towards salary increases. In terms of compensation, 55 percent of IT leaders expect their IT staff’s salary to increase, while 44 percent expect it to remain the same (34 percent), decrease (4 percent) or didn’t know (7 percent).
- “Core skills” expect to see highest salary increases. When asked which IT staff salaries were expected to change, more than 40 percent of IT leaders expected salary increases for developers, engineers, project managers and security experts. More than 30 percent of IT leaders expected salary increases for business analysts, architects, analytic experts, cloud experts, help-desk and support, mobile and .NET technologies. Mirroring the expected salary changes, developers, architects and analytics experts ranked highest in difficulty of obtaining. Surprisingly, social media skills saw the lowest expectation of positive salary growth with less than 30 percent expecting an increase.
- Organizations expect an increase in permanent headcount over other hiring models. For those IT leaders that are expecting to increase headcount, 39 percent expect to increase permanent IT headcount and 36 percent expect an increase in temporary headcount, while only 16 percent expect an increase in part-time headcount.
- Organizations don’t seem concerned with the loss of skills based on baby boomer retirement. Just slightly more than one-quarter (27 percent) of IT leaders foresee the loss of skills due to baby boomer retirement as a problem for their organization. Sixty-three percent felt it would not cause an issue, while 10 percent had no opinion. Additionally, of the 27 percent of respondents who did see baby boomer retirement as a problem, only 15 percent had any retention programs to encourage baby boomers to postpone retirement.
“IT leaders are practically split on expectations for IT budget increases and still recognize budget procurement as one of their greatest challenges in the current economic climate. As such, IT leaders’ focus on investing in core application, infrastructure and operational needs like business intelligence and cloud architectures is naturally driving the demand for related skills,” said TEKsystems market research manager, Jason Hayman. “Successfully delivering return on investment (ROI) on these initiatives makes hiring the right people very important, especially for skills expected to have the greatest business impact. Interestingly, the majority of IT leaders are optimistic about their organizations’ abilities to respond to a potential baby boomer exodus which makes the importance of strategic workforce planning even greater.”
TEKsystems' Jason Hayman, market research manager, is available for additional commentary. Please contact Paul Roberts ([email protected]) to schedule an interview. For more information about the survey, including the executive summary, please contact [email protected].
People are at the heart of every successful business initiative. At TEKsystems, we understand people. Every year we deploy over 80,000 IT professionals at 6,000 client sites across North America, Europe and Asia. Our deep insights into IT human capital management enable us to help our clients achieve their business goals – while optimizing their IT workforce strategies. We provide IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services to help our clients plan, build and run their critical business initiatives. Through our range of quality-focused delivery models, we meet our clients where they are, and take them where they want to go, the way they want to get there.
TEKsystems. Our people make IT possible. Visit us online at www.TEKsystems.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,992
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,359
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,026
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,325
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 24, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,204
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,166
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 24, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,757
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,501
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,636
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,570
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,367
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,787
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,608
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,728
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
Oct. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,965
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 34,160
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 868
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 913
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,015