|By Business Wire||
|December 12, 2012 10:37 AM EST||
TEKsystems®, a leading provider of IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services, today released new research showing that IT leaders are almost evenly split on expectations regarding budget increases for 2013. Additionally, IT leaders are gravitating toward investing in core application and infrastructure services and staff, with a greater interest in permanent hiring. Finally, the vast majority of organizations have no concern regarding loss of skills as it relates to baby boomer retirement.
More than 600 IT leaders (CIOs, IT VPs, IT directors, IT managers) were polled in September 2012 to understand the current state of IT spending, skills needs and workforce issues to identify critical areas. The full results of the survey, a video and infographic are available from TEKsystems at www.teksystems.com/resources/research/annual-it-forecast-2013.
Key highlights from the survey include:
Spending and Challenges
- IT leaders are nearly evenly split on whether IT budgets will grow versus remaining the same or declining. Forty-eight percent expect an increase in their organization’s IT budget, while 52 percent expect it to remain the same (27 percent), decline (16 percent) or didn’t know (9 percent).
- IT leaders’ confidence in whether their budgets will support the business needs of the organization closely mirror spending expectations. Fifty-four percent are confident that budgets will be adequate, while 46 percent are neutral (25 percent), unconfident (16 percent) or didn’t know (5 percent).
- IT leaders still see budget as their greatest challenge. In ranking the top challenges, “acquiring necessary budgets” ranked first, followed by “attracting, retaining and developing top talent” and “improving IT performance/efficiency.”
Areas of Investment and Organizational Impact
- Application and Infrastructure services spending top the list. When asked which areas IT leaders expected spending to increase, 49 percent expected growth in IT Applications Services spending and 47 percent expected growth in IT Infrastructure Services spending.
- Outsourcing and education services spending lose momentum. Sixty-nine percent of IT leaders expected spending for outsourcing services to stay the same (39 percent), decline (20 percent) or didn’t know (10 percent). For IT education and training, 70 percent expected it to stay the same (44 percent), decline (17 percent) or didn’t know (9 percent).
- Top three impact areas include newer trends such as business intelligence and cloud computing, yet security still remains high. Business intelligence, cloud computing and security were the top three trends expected to have the largest organizational impact. Additionally, more than 58 percent of IT leaders expected the trend towards cloud-based and “as-a-service” offerings to drive an increase in demand for IT skills, while less than 15 percent expected it to decrease.
- Operations a top concern. IT leaders ranked “operations” as having the largest increase in IT needs, followed by “marketing/sales” and “finance/accounting.”
Hiring, Compensation and Skills Replenishment
- IT leaders slightly positive towards salary increases. In terms of compensation, 55 percent of IT leaders expect their IT staff’s salary to increase, while 44 percent expect it to remain the same (34 percent), decrease (4 percent) or didn’t know (7 percent).
- “Core skills” expect to see highest salary increases. When asked which IT staff salaries were expected to change, more than 40 percent of IT leaders expected salary increases for developers, engineers, project managers and security experts. More than 30 percent of IT leaders expected salary increases for business analysts, architects, analytic experts, cloud experts, help-desk and support, mobile and .NET technologies. Mirroring the expected salary changes, developers, architects and analytics experts ranked highest in difficulty of obtaining. Surprisingly, social media skills saw the lowest expectation of positive salary growth with less than 30 percent expecting an increase.
- Organizations expect an increase in permanent headcount over other hiring models. For those IT leaders that are expecting to increase headcount, 39 percent expect to increase permanent IT headcount and 36 percent expect an increase in temporary headcount, while only 16 percent expect an increase in part-time headcount.
- Organizations don’t seem concerned with the loss of skills based on baby boomer retirement. Just slightly more than one-quarter (27 percent) of IT leaders foresee the loss of skills due to baby boomer retirement as a problem for their organization. Sixty-three percent felt it would not cause an issue, while 10 percent had no opinion. Additionally, of the 27 percent of respondents who did see baby boomer retirement as a problem, only 15 percent had any retention programs to encourage baby boomers to postpone retirement.
“IT leaders are practically split on expectations for IT budget increases and still recognize budget procurement as one of their greatest challenges in the current economic climate. As such, IT leaders’ focus on investing in core application, infrastructure and operational needs like business intelligence and cloud architectures is naturally driving the demand for related skills,” said TEKsystems market research manager, Jason Hayman. “Successfully delivering return on investment (ROI) on these initiatives makes hiring the right people very important, especially for skills expected to have the greatest business impact. Interestingly, the majority of IT leaders are optimistic about their organizations’ abilities to respond to a potential baby boomer exodus which makes the importance of strategic workforce planning even greater.”
TEKsystems' Jason Hayman, market research manager, is available for additional commentary. Please contact Paul Roberts ([email protected]) to schedule an interview. For more information about the survey, including the executive summary, please contact [email protected].
People are at the heart of every successful business initiative. At TEKsystems, we understand people. Every year we deploy over 80,000 IT professionals at 6,000 client sites across North America, Europe and Asia. Our deep insights into IT human capital management enable us to help our clients achieve their business goals – while optimizing their IT workforce strategies. We provide IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services to help our clients plan, build and run their critical business initiatives. Through our range of quality-focused delivery models, we meet our clients where they are, and take them where they want to go, the way they want to get there.
TEKsystems. Our people make IT possible. Visit us online at www.TEKsystems.com.
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 941
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 625
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,491
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 25, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 991
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 847
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,182
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,145
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,143
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 454
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,266
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,212
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,206
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 643
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,076
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,026
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 846
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,323
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,576
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,347
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,238