|By Marketwired .||
|December 19, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/19/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Recognizing industry innovation and business leadership, Oracle honored Menlo Worldwide Logistics, Southwest Airlines, and The Emirates Group as winners of the 2012 Travel and Transportation Industry Excellence Awards, presented at Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco.
- The annual awards recognize successful transformation and leadership in the travel and transportation industry.
- Southwest Airlines (Southwest) -- which including its wholly owned subsidiary, AirTran Airways, serves 97 destinations in 41 states, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and six international countries with a fleet of 698 Boeing jets, wanted to restructure and expand its customer loyalty program, Rapid Rewards®.
- Southwest Airlines determined that its legacy information technology (IT) infrastructure could not support the company's vision for an expanded program, and it looked to Oracle for a solution. Southwest used Oracle's Customer Relationship Management (CRM) applications as the foundation for its All New Rapid Rewards program.
- Oracle CRM applications have enabled Southwest Airlines to gain a single view into all customer activity and interactions with the company, across all channels. It also has helped to streamline e-mail and other types of customer communications. By integrating the Oracle CRM solution with the company computer telephony integration environment, it can now identify customers based on their telephone numbers and immediately populate the agent's desktop with the customer's information before taking the call to improve the overall customer experience.
- The company uses Oracle CRM to support an expanded Rapid Rewards program that includes no black out dates, availability of every seat for reward travel, variable earn and burn capabilities, and points that do not expire.
- Customers have responded enthusiastically to the All New Rapid Rewards program, which was launched in March 2011. Southwest has achieved double-digit growth in new members over the last year. Through June 2012, the program generated more than $300 million in incremental revenue, as well as a 20 percent increase in new member acquisitions. In addition, Rapid Rewards partner revenues increased by 46 percent in the same period.
The Emirates Group
- The Emirates Group, a global provider of aviation, travel, tourism and leisure services, is spearheaded by Emirates -- one of the world's fastest growing airlines. Mercator is the Emirates Group external IT operating unit, which both serves the company's needs and provides IT services and solutions to other airlines.
- In the early 90s, The Emirates Group realized that effective revenue accounting and enterprise performance management capabilities would be key to sustained growth. The company used Oracle Database and Oracle Developer Tools to build RAPID -- a comprehensive, end-to-end solution for passenger, cargo and mail revenue accounting designed to provide airline performance metrics derived from operational data.
- While RAPID was initially designed for use within the Emirates Group, mercator has subsequently begun to provide the scalable and robust solution via a variety of deployment models -- hosted, on premise and fully outsourced -- to more than 50 airlines around the globe.
- Mercator chose Oracle's Database as the foundation for RAPID because of its robustness, scalability and security. The company relies on Oracle's Developer Tools to help it continuously and efficiently evolve the solution to meet the changing aviation industry and market needs.
- RAPID has witnessed exponential growth over the past decade and is now a leading revenue accounting solution for the industry. The solution helps Emirates and other airlines through proven, yet highly innovative revenue accounting processes, helps to improve cash flow through expanded visibility into receivables and helps to optimize profits through swift and accurate revenue earned determination. Furthermore RAPID helps to reduce revenue accounting overhead costs and boosts productivity through streamlined processes.
Menlo Worldwide Logistics
- Menlo Worldwide Logistics, a leading provider of third party logistics (3PL), transportation management, freight brokerage and supply chain services across North America, 20 countries, and five continents, looked to create an enterprise wide transportation management platform to improve visibility and optimize value for its customers. It also looked to reduce maintenance costs associated with the disparate legacy systems.
- The company standardized on the Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle Transportation Management, Oracle Database and Oracle Fusion Middleware to create a unified operating platform that supports multiple clients and services. By replacing five legacy transportation management platforms, the new system provides a cost effective technology solution that significantly improves visibility and functionality.
- Launching the new platform was critical to enabling a tier-one truck original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to support its multi-billion dollar supply chain transformation initiative. Enabled by this technology platform, Menlo and its customer are driving significant savings in logistics costs and more efficiently managing more than $300 million in transportation spend for the OEM.
- "Travel and transportation companies operate in an increasingly volatile industry, with unpredictable fuel costs, increased competition and growing compliance requirements. Innovation and operational excellence are the keys to continued profitability," said Sundar Swaminathan, director of transportation industry strategy and marketing, Oracle. "The winners of Oracle's 2012 Travel and Transportation Industry Excellence Awards demonstrate these qualities and show how ingenuity and the right technology can come together to enable enterprises to capitalize on new opportunities for growth."
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the travel and transportation industry, helping to speed time to market, reduce costs and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) provides the most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems in the world. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jun. 27, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 320
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 336
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 356
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 351
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 27, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 760
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 27, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,157
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,230
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 27, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,236
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 847
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,055
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 899
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,075
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,326
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,244
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,367
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,299
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,315
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,153
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,376
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,652