|By Marketwired .||
|December 19, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/19/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Recognizing industry innovation and business leadership, Oracle honored Menlo Worldwide Logistics, Southwest Airlines, and The Emirates Group as winners of the 2012 Travel and Transportation Industry Excellence Awards, presented at Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco.
- The annual awards recognize successful transformation and leadership in the travel and transportation industry.
- Southwest Airlines (Southwest) -- which including its wholly owned subsidiary, AirTran Airways, serves 97 destinations in 41 states, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and six international countries with a fleet of 698 Boeing jets, wanted to restructure and expand its customer loyalty program, Rapid Rewards®.
- Southwest Airlines determined that its legacy information technology (IT) infrastructure could not support the company's vision for an expanded program, and it looked to Oracle for a solution. Southwest used Oracle's Customer Relationship Management (CRM) applications as the foundation for its All New Rapid Rewards program.
- Oracle CRM applications have enabled Southwest Airlines to gain a single view into all customer activity and interactions with the company, across all channels. It also has helped to streamline e-mail and other types of customer communications. By integrating the Oracle CRM solution with the company computer telephony integration environment, it can now identify customers based on their telephone numbers and immediately populate the agent's desktop with the customer's information before taking the call to improve the overall customer experience.
- The company uses Oracle CRM to support an expanded Rapid Rewards program that includes no black out dates, availability of every seat for reward travel, variable earn and burn capabilities, and points that do not expire.
- Customers have responded enthusiastically to the All New Rapid Rewards program, which was launched in March 2011. Southwest has achieved double-digit growth in new members over the last year. Through June 2012, the program generated more than $300 million in incremental revenue, as well as a 20 percent increase in new member acquisitions. In addition, Rapid Rewards partner revenues increased by 46 percent in the same period.
The Emirates Group
- The Emirates Group, a global provider of aviation, travel, tourism and leisure services, is spearheaded by Emirates -- one of the world's fastest growing airlines. Mercator is the Emirates Group external IT operating unit, which both serves the company's needs and provides IT services and solutions to other airlines.
- In the early 90s, The Emirates Group realized that effective revenue accounting and enterprise performance management capabilities would be key to sustained growth. The company used Oracle Database and Oracle Developer Tools to build RAPID -- a comprehensive, end-to-end solution for passenger, cargo and mail revenue accounting designed to provide airline performance metrics derived from operational data.
- While RAPID was initially designed for use within the Emirates Group, mercator has subsequently begun to provide the scalable and robust solution via a variety of deployment models -- hosted, on premise and fully outsourced -- to more than 50 airlines around the globe.
- Mercator chose Oracle's Database as the foundation for RAPID because of its robustness, scalability and security. The company relies on Oracle's Developer Tools to help it continuously and efficiently evolve the solution to meet the changing aviation industry and market needs.
- RAPID has witnessed exponential growth over the past decade and is now a leading revenue accounting solution for the industry. The solution helps Emirates and other airlines through proven, yet highly innovative revenue accounting processes, helps to improve cash flow through expanded visibility into receivables and helps to optimize profits through swift and accurate revenue earned determination. Furthermore RAPID helps to reduce revenue accounting overhead costs and boosts productivity through streamlined processes.
Menlo Worldwide Logistics
- Menlo Worldwide Logistics, a leading provider of third party logistics (3PL), transportation management, freight brokerage and supply chain services across North America, 20 countries, and five continents, looked to create an enterprise wide transportation management platform to improve visibility and optimize value for its customers. It also looked to reduce maintenance costs associated with the disparate legacy systems.
- The company standardized on the Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle Transportation Management, Oracle Database and Oracle Fusion Middleware to create a unified operating platform that supports multiple clients and services. By replacing five legacy transportation management platforms, the new system provides a cost effective technology solution that significantly improves visibility and functionality.
- Launching the new platform was critical to enabling a tier-one truck original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to support its multi-billion dollar supply chain transformation initiative. Enabled by this technology platform, Menlo and its customer are driving significant savings in logistics costs and more efficiently managing more than $300 million in transportation spend for the OEM.
- "Travel and transportation companies operate in an increasingly volatile industry, with unpredictable fuel costs, increased competition and growing compliance requirements. Innovation and operational excellence are the keys to continued profitability," said Sundar Swaminathan, director of transportation industry strategy and marketing, Oracle. "The winners of Oracle's 2012 Travel and Transportation Industry Excellence Awards demonstrate these qualities and show how ingenuity and the right technology can come together to enable enterprises to capitalize on new opportunities for growth."
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the travel and transportation industry, helping to speed time to market, reduce costs and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) provides the most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems in the world. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 21, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 716
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 5,279
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 5,785
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 21, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 4,382
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 21, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 3,744
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Jan. 21, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,780
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a leading digital experience intelligence company, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint Systems is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into your customer-critical services to help you consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed for digital business, C...
Jan. 21, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,852
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Jan. 21, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,816
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 21, 2017 11:15 AM EST Reads: 6,132
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions with...
Jan. 21, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,682
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 21, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 1,324
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Jan. 21, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 960
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 21, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,968
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, discussed the best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Jan. 21, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 2,113
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT depl...
Jan. 21, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 2,008
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Jan. 21, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 5,840
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 6,585
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 2,904
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 4,945
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 5,077