|By PR Newswire||
|January 10, 2013 09:30 AM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Zacks.com announces the list of stocks featured in the Analyst Blog. Every day the Zacks Equity Research analysts discuss the latest news and events impacting stocks and the financial markets. Stocks recently featured in the blog includeAT&T Inc (NYSE:T), Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ), Sprint-Nextel Corp. (NYSE:S), Google Inc. (Nasdaq:GOOG) and Apple Inc. (Nasdaq:AAPL).
Get the most recent insight from Zacks Equity Research with the free Profit from the Pros newsletter: http://at.zacks.com/?id=5513
Here are highlights from Wednesday's Analyst Blog:
AT&T Smartphones Reach 10M Landmark
Telecom biggie AT&T Inc (NYSE:T) set a new record with the sale of 10 million smartphones in the fourth quarter of 2012. The company held a record of selling 9.4 million smartphones during October–December 2011.
The last quarter of 2012 also witnessed highest sales of Android and Apple smartphones. On average, the company sold more than 110,000 smartphones daily, including Android, Apple and Windows devices. With this high sales figure, the total smartphone sales of the company in 2012 is expected to reach 26.7 million, a bit higher than the earlier forecast of 26 million.
Wireless carriers like AT&T place smartphones on shop shelf at high price as customers get attracted to the devices that run on advanced technologies and offer smooth networking experience. The operators shell out heavy subsidies to the handset manufactures to offer the mobile phones to customers at a discount under two-year contract plans.
San Antonio, Texas based AT&T will release its full fourth-quarter 2012 financial results on January 24, 2013 after the close of trading. The Zacks Consensus Estimates for the fourth quarter and 2012 earnings currently stand at 48 cents per share and $2.38 per share, respectively. The estimates reflect a respective year-over-year growth of 15.1% and 8.2% for the fourth quarter and 2012.
We maintain our long-term Neutral recommendation on AT&T – the second largest provider of wireless services in North America after Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ). The company, currently, retains a Zacks Rank #3, implying a short-term Hold rating on the stock.
We remain optimistic about AT&T's growth prospects, driven by subscriber accretion, higher smartphones adoption, LTE mobile broadband network, iPhone sales and U-verse expansion that will lead to improved revenue growth.
The company's foray into cloud computing and hotel WiFi businesses is expected to lead to better profitability. Other positive attributes for the company include a strategic realignment initiative and healthy financial profile. However, persistent access line losses, competitive pressures and regulatory issues will likely weigh on the stock in the coming days.
Sprint Unveils Android Application
Third largest telecom carrier in the US Sprint-Nextel Corp. (NYSE:S) has launched a music and video application for smartphones running on Google Inc.'s (Nasdaq:GOOG) Android-based operating system. The latest application from Sprint's stable is going to distinguish its application portfolio from that of its rivals.
The latest application known as Entertain Me is located within Sprint Zone on some select Android-based smartphones running on Sprint's network. The application allows searching for online music, through partners Spotify and Shazam and also access video-on-demand services via SprintTV and Movies.
Sprint's TV and Movies, which is powered by MobiTV, provides access to 15 different channels that telecast primetime shows including live NBA and MLB games. On the other hand, Spotify provides customers privilege to search from a list of almost 20 million songs. Entertain Me also includes contents like Sprint Music Plus, Slacker, iHeartRadio and Rampus.
Sprint customers can watch and listen to anything they want to with the company's recently launched Everything Data plan – priced at $79.99. The plan allows unlimited web browsing in Sprint's nationwide network.
Downloading and utilizing of application by smartphone users is rapidly increasing. The average number of applications on US consumer devices soared 28% in 2012. The unprecedented use of application by smartphone customers will force application developers to come up with many more applications.
According to research firm IDC, at the end of 3Q 2012 Android holds a global smartphone market share of 75%, way ahead of second place occupied by Apple Inc.'s (Nasdaq:AAPL) iOS platform, which has penetrated only 14.9% of the smartphone market.
Sprint wants to capitalize on this exceptional growth as higher sales of Android based phones, as it will likely translate into higher use of its applications. However, we believe to gain mass acceptance, the application should be upgraded to run on other operating systems.
We maintain our long-term Neutral recommendation on Sirius XM Radio. The company holds a short-term Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).
Want more from Zacks Equity Research? Subscribe to the free Profit from the Pros newsletter: http://at.zacks.com/?id=5515.
About Zacks Equity Research
Zacks Equity Research provides the best of quantitative and qualitative analysis to help investors know what stocks to buy and which to sell for the long-term.
Continuous coverage is provided for a universe of 1,150 publicly traded stocks. Our analysts are organized by industry which gives them keen insights to developments that affect company profits and stock performance. Recommendations and target prices are six-month time horizons.
Zacks "Profit from the Pros" e-mail newsletter provides highlights of the latest analysis from Zacks Equity Research. Subscribe to this free newsletter today: http://at.zacks.com/?id=5517
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978 by Leon Zacks. As a PhD from MIT Len knew he could find patterns in stock market data that would lead to superior investment results. Amongst his many accomplishments was the formation of his proprietary stock picking system; the Zacks Rank, which continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Register for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros at http://at.zacks.com/?id=5518.
Visit http://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Disclaimer: Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investors should always research companies and securities before making any investments. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security.
SOURCE Zacks Investment Research, Inc.
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- XIOSS Announces Partnership with Dropbox for Business
- Business Process Management (BPM), Cloud, Mobile, and Patterns Market Shares, Strategies, and Forecasts, Worldwide, 2014-2020
- Global e-Learning Industry
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- OIC Alliance Joins Internet of Things Battle
- EDS and VMware Earn Top Net Promoter Scores According to New Temkin Group Research of Tech Industry
- July 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- DevOps – Getting the Most From It at @DevOpsSummit [#DevOps]
- AppSphere 2014 Continues to Expand Speaker List With Industry Thought Leaders
- iCIMS Talent Platform Recognized for Outstanding Technology Enhancements by "Network Products Guide"
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- Flexera Software Increases Commitment to Europe with Germany-based Datacenter to Host FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud for European Customers
- Emulex 10Gb Ethernet and Gen 5 Fibre Channel Adapters Selected by Lenovo to Enhance ThinkServer Family
- June 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- XIOSS Announces Partnership with Dropbox for Business
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Android and the Open Automotive Alliance Shift into the Next Gear
- “Entisys 02” Finishes in Top 20 at the 2014 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Race at the Sonoma Raceway
- MongoDB World in NY City this week
- ITEXPO Miami Calls for Papers on the Latest Business Technology Strategies
- AppDynamics Closes $120 Million in Growth Financing to Accelerate Platform and Sales Expansion
- Rackspace Positioned in the Leaders Quadrant of Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting in Both North America and Europe
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- "HP's Problem Ain't the SAP Install," Says Sun's Schwartz
- Red Hat Named "Platinum Sponsor" of Virtualization Conference & Expo
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Web Services Strategy - SAP Platform
- JavaOne 2008: SOA, SCA, REST and Comet Discussed
- Cloud Expo and The End of Tech Recession
- Software AG SOA World News Coverage Initiated on Ulitzer
- Oracle To Keynote Cloud Computing Expo
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Adaptivity “Platinum Plus Sponsor” of Cloud Expo
- Adobe and Social Media Terrorists