|By Bob Gourley||
|January 29, 2013 08:53 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- DOD, VA improve eBenefits portal – The eBenefits self-service portal has been updated. This portal allows service members and vets unparalleled access to information and services. It allows users to get into compensation services, even populated the information from their VA records. Via FedScoop, more here.
- Government Appetite Growing for Twitter User Data – “Twitter said Monday that just 19 percent of federal and state government requests for user data were accompanied by probable-cause search warrants during the six months ending in December 2012.” There were 815 total requests for Twitter user data. Twitter also demands a probable-cause warrant. Via Wired, more here.
- 86,800 network printers open to the whole internet – is one of them yours? – “UK blogger @skattyadz, alias Adam Howard [*], did a Google search for a URL matching the pattern you might use to connect to a nearby printer on your office network.” He built his search terms to look specifically for HP printers, so there are likely to be thousands of other open network printers. Via Naked Security, more here.
- Odierno: budget is greatest threat to national security - Army Chief of Staff, Ray Odierno, believes that “Fiscal uncertainty and potential budget shortfalls are the greatest threat to national security.” Apparently, the Joint Chief of Staffs wrote a letter to the House and Senate concerned about how future budgets could affect national security. ““In the past we’ve taken reductions during relative peace and stability, but in my mind as I look at the world today, there’s instability on every continent around the world and there’s incredible uncertainty on what the future may hold,”” said Odierno. Via FedScoop, more here.
- DDoS attacks, mobile traffic visibility top security concerns: Arbor – According to Arbor Networks’ most recent report, over 90% of data centers are experiencing DDoS attacks. They also found 60% of mobile providers have no oversight over their 4G LTE networks. Via ComputerWorld Australia, more here.
- The dangers of third-party code for cloud security – “Imperva announced a new report which examines the dangers of third-party code in cloud computing.In December 2012, a hacker breached Yahoo! with an SQL injection attack that took advantage of a vulnerability in a third-party application that was provided on the Yahoo! Web site.” This has emphasized the dangers that using 3rd party code in cloud services can open a service up to. Via Net Security.org, more here.
- Google Announces Pwnium 3, Ups Ante and Offers $3M+ in Rewards – In this year’s competition, Google is opening up the Chrome OS to the competitors. Google is offering $3.14159M (you nerds should get it) in reward money. According to the Chromium blog, “the company will offer $110,000 for a “browser or system level compromise in guest mode or as a logged-in user, delivered via a web page” and $150,000 for a “compromise with device persistence — guest to guest with interim reboot, delivered via a web page.”" Via Threat Post, more here.
- New bug makes moot Java’s latest anti-exploit defenses, claims researcher – “Java’s new security settings, designed to block “drive-by” browser attacks, can be bypassed by hackers, a researcher announced Sunday.” Adam Gowdiak, CEO of Security Explorations, found that the new settings for Java do not shut down attackers at all. Via ComputerWorld, more here.\
- Pentagon to boost cybersecurity force – The Pentagon will be plussing up their cybersecurity force by almost five-fold, in the next few years. The USCYBERCOM unit will grow from 900 personnel to over 4,900 total servicemembers and civilians. “The plan calls for the creation of three types of forces under the Cyber Command: “national mission forces” to protect computer systems that undergird electrical grids, power plants and other infrastructure deemed critical to national and economic security; “combat mission forces” to help commanders abroad plan and execute attacks or other offensive operations; and “cyber protection forces” to fortify the Defense Department’s networks.” Via Stars and Stripes, more here.
- Data.gov gets agile with new alpha site - ”Data.gov is on track to getting a .gov makeover right before our very eyes thanks in part to an agile, open approach to development being adopted by the General Services Administration.” They are attempting to “create an online showcase” designed to highlight what data.gov can do. Via FedScoop, more here.
- When reforming FISMA, don’t throw out what works – William Jackson of GCN, explores the value that FISMA has already had in government. While FISMA has required enormous amounts of paperwork, and “focused on compliance rather than risk”. “Before Congress fiddles too much with the act, lawmakers should have a good idea of how that implementation has improved and what the impact has been, and what practices have actually improved security in agencies.” Via GCN, more here.
- Motorola Solutions unveils MC45 mobile computer – Motorola has released details on a new rugged mobile tablet. The problem with these capabilities is that they do not outstrip devices such as the Apple iPad or Google Nexus 7 or any smartphone in any terms of value. The device starts at $1,345 and has an enhanced model that is $2,295. These have small screens and small keyboards, but Motorola must believe their “ruggedization” to be worth the cost. We shall see, but I hope that most organizations start thinking more agilely and purchase commercial devices with rugged cases as opposed to COTS devices with built in protections. Via IDG/ComputerWorld, more here.
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,097
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,220
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,040
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,859
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,188
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 25, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,991
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 988
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,715
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,244
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,106
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,378
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,544
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,123
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 326
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,247
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,446
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,145
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,460
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,620
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,555